Toast with Sausage Gravy
Warm yourself from the inside out with this wholesome Toast with Sausage Gravy.
- 8 slices Wholesome Harvest® Wholesome Oat Bread, toasted
- 16 oz. roll breakfast sausage
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups skim milk
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg, fried
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking it up as you go. Cook until browned (approximately 5-10 minutes). Transfer cooked sausage to a bowl and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add butter and melt. Whisk the flour into melted butter and cook, continuing to whisk, for about 1 minute. Slowly stir the milk into the pan until smooth.
- Stir in pepper, rosemary, thyme, and salt.
- Bring the gravy to a simmer while whisking regularly and simmer for 2-5 minutes, or until desired thickness is reached.
- Stir sausage into gravy. Serve over toast, topped with a fried egg.