Stuffed French Toast Skewers
French toast plus toothpicks equals French toast sticks? These elegant skewers will be the talk of the breakfast table.
- 12 slices Wholesome Harvest® Wholesome Oatmeal Bread
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1½ tsp. vanilla, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1⅓ cups milk
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 10 strawberries, sliced in half
- 1 cup blackberries
- 5 kiwi, sliced
- Maple syrup, to serve
- In a small bowl, with a handheld mixer, whip the cream, gradually adding the sugar. When you have a soft peak, add ½ teaspoon of vanilla and continue to whip until you get a stiff peak. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Beat together egg, milk, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Heat a lightly oiled skillet over medium-high heat. Dip a slice of bread into the egg mixture and place on the skillet. Cook until browned on both sides. Repeat with the rest of the bread.
- Let bread cool. Take the refrigerated whip cream out and then spread on one side of each slice of bread. Top 4 slices with strawberries, 4 slices with blackberries and 4 slices with kiwi. Form French toast sandwiches by capping each fruit-topped slice with a whipped cream-topped slice, whipped cream side down. Slice each sandwich into small squares, about 8 per sandwich. Skewer French toast sandwich bites together with a toothpick. Serve with maple syrup.