Grilled Eggplant Caponata
This easy version of a Sicilian eggplant relish is delicious as a spread or sandwich filling.
- 8 slices Wholesome Harvest Stone Ground Whole Wheat Bread, toasted
- 1 small eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 red pepper, quartered
- 1 onion, sliced into thick rings
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat grill to medium heat; grease grate well.
- Grill eggplant, turning, for 10 minutes or until grill-marked and tender.
- Grill red peppers and onion, turning, for 5 to 8 minutes or until grill marked and tender.
- Finely chop vegetables.
- Mix with tomato, raisins, pine nuts, vinegar, oil, basil and salt.
- Top each toasted bread slice evenly with caponata.